Sunday, April 12, 2009

My visit to Clarion's Historical Society

I got to visit Clarion's memorial park, directly across from the Court House. I saw the Soldiers Monument and 2 cannons! I learned that the monument was erected in 1898, and was the first such monument to be erected in a public park in the state. The monument is made of white granite, and stands 47ft high. At the top, there is a flag bearer surmounting the capital. The monument reads:
1896
In Memory
Of The Soldiers
Of Clarion County
Who Served Their Country
In Its Hour Of Peril
1861-1865

There are four granite statues representing the four arms of the service -- Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Marine. Midway up the monument, carved in relief are the badges of the 13 army corps represented by Clarion County soldiers-- the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 11th, 14th, 18th, and 24th Potomac Cavalry.


I also visited the Sutton-Ditz House Museum. I learned that Colonel Calvin A. Craig, from Clarion County served in the Civil War. Check out the images below... AND check out the pictures above. Many of Colonel Craig's things were on display.

1 comment: