Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My First Day at Surratt House Museum!

It was a bumpy journey, but I arrived to Surratt House Museum, late yesterday afternoon. I was so tired, I decided to sleep for the rest of the day. I was definately awake and ready for my first day!! Today, Miss Julie and Miss Susan were cleaning the museum, and I got to help! Cleaning a museum, is much different than cleaning a house. You have to wear cotton gloves, to protect furniture and other artifacts from the oils on our skin. The oils can damage furniture and other objects. We also had to lightly dust the artifacts with a soft cloth. Each individual piece had to carefully be taken off of a shelf or table and set on the cleaning table, where we would dust off the artifact. It was very time consuming but worth it! I was very glad that they allowed me to take part in such a responsiblity!

After we cleaned, we took a break, and I watched everyone do office work. I am very excited for this week. Tomorrow, I will officially become a Surratt House Museum Volunteer, and I get to give tours with Miss Julie! And on Saturday, I will be going on the John Wilkes Booth Escape Route Tour! People come from miles around to take this tour, and I am one of them!!
Sallie

No comments:

Post a Comment