Wednesday, August 19, 2009


Today I toured the Clara Barton Birthplace Museum in North Oxford, MA. It was really exciting to see the home where Clara Barton, "The Angel of the Battlefield," was born. The museum has many artifacts that actually belonged to Miss Barton, including the field desk that she used during the Civil War.




That's me sitting on Clara's field desk! Clara wrote a lot of letters to her family and friends during the Civil War. She also wrote letters for wounded soldiers.


Clara's childhood home is almost 200 years old - it was built about 1818. Clara's father, Stephen Barton, was a farmer who raised horses, cows and chickens. Clara learned to ride a horse without a saddle at the age of 5.


Here is a picture of me sitting on the front step of Clara Barton's Birthplace.
I have had a busy day so I think I will go to bed early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment